Our attorneys bring decades of experience in all aspects of property tax, property valuation and eminent domain law. We represent both taxpayers and taxing units, which gives us a unique perspective and enables us to resolve matters effectively, whether they involve a negotiated settlement or trial. We have served as lead trial counsel in disputes involving taxation of commercial and industrial properties, public utilities, railroads and telecommunications.
Our attorneys include a past chairman of the Eminent Domain and Tax Assessment Litigation Committee, standing members of the International Association of Assessing Officers, standing members of the National Conference of Unit Valuation States, and a member of the New York State Real Property Alliance.
Because of our strong record of success, our attorneys are often called upon as experts to lecture on complex property tax cases, eminent domain proceedings and settlement strategies. Attorneys in this group provide expert commentary for a variety of publications, such as The New York Times.
- Successful defense of multiple federal class action lawsuits against New York State and 700 localities by CSXT and Norfolk Southern Railroad, culminating in settlement saving taxpayers tens of millions of dollars.
- Successful defense of Iowa Department of Revenue in eight separate proceedings brought by three major gas and electric utility companies, saving the state approximately $40 million.
- Represented international power company in several tax certiorari matters across the state, achieving reduction in property assessments of more than $5 million.
- Won dismissal for municipal clients of two RPTL Article 7 proceedings involving large super-regional shopping center, saving clients $4.9 million in potential exposure.
- Successfully obtained $1 million exemption increase for private industry client.
- Won reversal for municipal clients of order denying motion to dismiss tax certiorari proceeding, saving clients over $500,000 in potential exposure.
- Won dismissal of tax certiorari proceeding, resulting in savings to clients of $250,000 in potential exposure.
- Won sanction order for municipal clients precluding owner of income-producing property from relying on certified statement of income and expenses at trial and requiring reimbursement of client’s attorney fees.
- Represented grocery chain challenging assessments, resulting in significant property tax reductions.
- Successfully represented county in hotly contested eminent domain proceeding to acquire parcel for 375- room hotel adjacent to convention center.
- Successfully represented major oil company in numerous appropriations by state, most recently obtaining large award plus attorneys’ fees and appraisal costs.