Janet D. Callahan is a partner in the Firm’s Litigation and Appellate practices and has served as a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee. Ms. Callahan was the first female Managing Partner in the Firm’s 125-year history. As Managing Partner, Ms. Callahan led the Executive Committee and oversaw business operations, providing guidance to its nearly 60 attorneys and 130 employees. Under her leadership, the Firm opened the Ithaca office in 2015.
Ms. Callahan has more than 35 years of civil litigation experience and has been a partner at the Firm since 1989. She has represented clients in a number of significant appeals to the Appellate Division and the Court of Appeals. In addition to her appellate experience, she defends clients in lawsuits involving professional liability, commercial litigation, products liability, premises liability, motor vehicle accidents and veterinary malpractice. She also represents veterinarians and other licensed professionals in disciplinary proceedings.
Prior to joining the Firm, Ms. Callahan served as Confidential Law Clerk to Hon. J. Robert Lynch, Supreme Court Justice and Associate Justice of the Appellate Division, First Department, and Hon. Thomas J. Lowery, New York Court of Claims.
Ms. Callahan is listed as a 2024 “Lawyer of the Year – Syracuse” by The Best Lawyers in America in the Appellate Practice and the Product Liability Litigation – Defendants areas.
- Successfully defended several area manufacturers in lawsuits brought in New York City to recover for personal injury and wrongful death arising from alleged exposure to asbestos-containing products.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of various homeowners in a case seeking to recover for injuries suffered by the plaintiff, who fell from their roof while performing repair work.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of a junior high school principal in a lawsuit brought by a teacher alleging discrimination and sexual harassment.
- Obtained jury verdict in favor of a city police department in action where plaintiff alleged false arrest, false imprisonment and assault and battery.
- Obtained summary judgment for various property owners in Jefferson County in a case brought by a group seeking to locate a water tank and water treatment plant on adjacent property.
- Successfully defended a number of area veterinarians in disciplinary proceedings before the New York State Education Department Office of Professional Discipline.