James P. Youngs is Chair of the Litigation Department. He represents companies, organizations and individuals in a broad range of matters, including business and contract disputes, unfair competition and trade secrets claims, and environmental, construction, employment and products liability litigation.
Mr. Youngs is a member of the Intellectual Property Practice, defending and prosecuting trademark and copyright infringement cases, and helps clients develop, prosecute and monitor trademark and copyright portfolios before the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the United States Copyright Office.
Mr. Youngs also assists entrepreneurs, startup companies and emerging businesses in identifying, assessing and protecting their intellectual property assets and rights. He helps emerging companies that are in all stages of maturity develop and implement IP management and enforcement strategies, including registration, licensing and, when necessary, litigation. Mr. Youngs regularly advises new and existing businesses seeking to obtain Minority- and Women-owned Business Enterprise (MWBE) Certification with New York State and the federal government.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Youngs was a law clerk at the United States Department of Justice, Office of Legal Policy, where he assisted with federal judicial nominations, including the nomination and confirmation of two United States Supreme Court Justices.
- Obtained approximately $500,000 for a client in compensatory and punitive damages arising from a party’s interference with the client’s railway easement.
- Successfully defended a hospital in a breach of contract lawsuit by a party seeking $650,000, by obtaining summary judgment in the client’s favor.
- Obtained a ruling from the federal district court for the Northern District of New York, effectively reducing a prejudgment interest award against a municipal client by approximately $3 million.
- Removed a New York Attorney General’s enforcement proceeding against a client to a federal court and thereafter obtained a favorable settlement after bringing a motion for partial summary judgment.
- Obtained partial summary judgment as part of team defending a client from an antitrust suit and assisted in the preparation of a no-cause verdict in a jury trial of claim for an interference with a contract.
- Defended a local business against trademark infringement, unfair competition and other Lanham Act claims brought by a national company in federal court, obtaining dismissal of the suit and favorable resolution by way of a coexistence agreement.
- Represented a client in an administrative appeal of a New York State Minority and Women-Owned Business Certification denial and assisted in obtaining recertification.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a client seeking contractual indemnification from a seller for costs associated with New York Department of Environmental Conservation remediation activities and directive.
- Obtained dismissal of landowner’s federal civil rights complaint alleging inverse condemnation and other constitutional torts against an environmental remediation company acting as a contractor to New York State.
- Obtained summary judgement for approximately $200,000 on behalf of a manufacturer in a breach of contract dispute.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of a client after suing for breach of contract arising from the defective construction of a manufacturing facility.
- Successfully moved to dismiss Article 78 petition asserting land use and other claims challenging the construction of a client’s multi-million dollar residential project.
- Obtained dismissal of Article 78 challenge to a multi-million dollar theater project based on the State Environmental Quality Review Act.
- Successfully moved to dismiss a §1983 lawsuit asserting First and Fourth Amendment claims against a judge, which involved novel issues of official immunity and Fourth Amendment jurisprudence.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of a client in a breach of contract case arising from a bid to perform environmental remediation and asbestos abatement work.
- Recovered a favorable settlement on behalf of a client who sustained serious and permanent personal injuries after being struck by a vehicle.
- Successfully moved for summary judgment in favor of a municipal client and law enforcement officers in a suit arising from an inmate’s allegation of constitutional violations, which involved questions of first impression in the Second Circuit.
- Obtained the dismissal of a products liability suit against an out-of-state client based on the lack of New York court jurisdiction.
- Defended a trucking company in a Carmack Amendment case brought in federal court, obtaining a favorable settlement.