James J. O’Shea is a partner in the Firm’s Litigation practice. He focuses on complex litigation in federal and New York State courts representing clients in sophisticated corporate disputes including dissolutions of both public and private entities, shareholder derivative suits, bankruptcy and restructuring matters, construction litigation, environmental litigation and defense of personal injury claims. In an advisory role, Mr. O’Shea often serves as a liaison between businesses and individuals regarding risk management, employment, tax, corporate organization and dispute resolution prior to litigation.
Mr. O’Shea has successfully represented municipalities and their respective agencies in a variety of issues including tax certiorari matters from the beginning of the grievance proceeding through multi-year challenges at trial.
Mr. O’Shea also represents clients in the leisure industry across New York State and has successfully defended many personal injury claims, often achieving dismissal before trial.
In addition to his complex corporate litigation, Mr. O’Shea also represents clients in general civil litigation including multiple aspects of estate/fiduciary litigation.
- Represented controlling shareholders and Officers and Directors of a multi-national manufacturing company in the successful defense of breach of fiduciary claims seeking in excess of $10 million dollars, culminating in full resolution of claims and buyout of minority shareholders.
- Successfully defended the Officers and Directors/Member Managers of a multi-national business at trial in the United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois, on breach of fiduciary claims seeing in excess of $3 million dollars.
- Obtained judgment in excess of $1 million dollars for a national business conglomerate as a result of a business partner’s breach of contract.
- Obtained summary judgment for large snowmobile club on personal injury claims pursued by injured snowmobilers.
- Represented multiple municipalities in multi-year tax certiorari actions.
- Obtained summary judgment for regional business in the defense of personal injury claims in Westchester County.
- Represented regional banking institution in the successful prosecution and recovery of in excess of $300,000.00 on fraudulent conveyance claims.
- Represented regional banking institution on the recovery of fraudulently wired funds.
- Represented numerous businesses and individual shareholders in partnership, LLC, and corporate disputes and dissolution proceedings across New York State.
- Represented numerous beneficiaries, trustees, estate administrators against breach of fiduciary claims.