Procuring and protecting intellectual property rights has become a priority for our business clients, both regional and national. Hancock Estabrook is one of the few Upstate New York law firms to offer a wide range of intellectual property litigation services. We also provide due diligence and risk assessment of threatened intellectual property litigation in connection with various commercial transactions.
Our experienced federal and state court practitioners provide integrated advocacy on complex matters. Our attorneys have litigated and arbitrated patent-related disputes, both locally and nationally, in such diverse fields as biomedical technology, mechanical engineering, electronics and liquid chromatography. We represent clients in copyright, trademark and trade secret litigation in federal and state courts.
Whether at the courthouse or the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, our attorneys have the ability to effectively combine litigation skills with substantive knowledge of the complex laws involving protection and enforcement of copyrights and trademarks. We also work closely with our clients' in-house personnel, which allows us to achieve the best results for our clients.
- Obtained summary judgment for a medical device manufacturer in a patent infringement action against a European medical technology company.
- Defended a manufacturer of coaxial cable technology in a patent infringement lawsuit in the District Court in Colorado, through the Markman hearing stage.
- Obtained a favorable decision for a client in a patent infringement lawsuit in the District Court in California, relative to trailer brake actuator technology.
- Successfully achieved, for an Ivy League university's research foundation, a transfer of a patent license lawsuit from the District Court in Nebraska to arbitration in the university's home state, with a favorable result.
- Obtained several settlements for an Italian consorzio responsible for the certification of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese in disputes over certification mark infringement.
- Obtained a favorable outcome in an arbitration of a patent license dispute concerning liquid chromatography patents.
- Obtained an advantageous settlement in a trademark lawsuit involving various soft drink trademarks after filing a preliminary injunction motion.