Timothy P. Murphy is a partner and a member of the Firm's Executive Committee. He has 27 years of experience representing clients in product liability, motor vehicle, construction accident, medical malpractice, negligence, premises liability, toxic tort, and commercial cases in state and federal court.
Mr. Murphy enjoys connecting with clients to understand their business and the issues they are facing. This allows him the opportunity to provide thorough, practical and creative advice when helping clients deal with litigation matters. His clients include Fortune 500 companies, product manufacturers, trucking companies, retailers, banks, individuals, small and medium size businesses, security companies, higher education institutions and municipalities.
Mr. Murphy grew up in Syracuse and is a second generation lawyer with strong connections to the Central New York community. His father retired as a New York State Supreme Court Justice after 30 years on the bench, and his brother is currently a Supreme Court Justice in Onondaga County. In 2016, Mr. Murphy presented to the New York State Supreme Court Justices on the topics of "Concussion and Traumatic Brain Injury Cases" and "Resolving Medicare Liens" at a Fifth District Judicial Seminar. He was also appointed to the New York State Continuing Legal Education Board by Honorable A. Gail Prudenti, Chief Administrative Judge of the Courts of New York State.
Mr. Murphy is regularly retained to serve as a Mediator in litigated cases. He has served as a Mediator, Arbitrator and Early Neutral Evaluator in the Northern District of New York ADR Program. Mr. Murphy focuses his mediation practice on construction and labor law, medical malpractice, motor vehicle, negligence, premises liability and product liability cases. He draws upon his extensive experience of representing clients on both sides of the table to help parties reach a mutually acceptable resolution of their dispute.
Outside of work, Mr, Murphy spends as much time as possible on or around Skaneateles Lake, located in the Finger Lakes region, with his wife, Mary Ann, and their three children – Tim, Colleen and Ciara.
- Obtained a defense jury verdict in favor of the manufacturer of a chair purchased by the plaintiff, who fell to the ground and was injured when the chair collapsed as he sat on it (New York State Supreme Court, Onondaga County).
- Represented a commercial equipment lessor in a class action lawsuit where there was millions of dollars in potential exposure if class action certification was granted and obtained summary judgment denying class action certification in client’s favor (New York State Supreme Court, Queens County).
- Successfully defended a product manufacturer in a toxic tort lawsuit brought by a plaintiff who claimed he sustained disfiguring chemical burns from coming in contact with our client’s product (New York State Supreme Court, Tompkins County).
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of the International Boxing Hall of Fame in a lawsuit commenced by former heavy weight champion, Joe Frazier, for alleged unauthorized use of his image to promote a boxing match between his daughter and Mohammed Ali's daughter and successfully defended case on appeal (United States District Court, Northern District of New York and United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit).
- Obtained a defense jury verdict for a physical therapist who was alleged to have committed malpractice for utilizing cervical traction in treating a patient who became paralyzed (New York State Supreme Court, Onondaga County).
- Obtained a defense jury verdict in favor of a nursing home that was sued by a guest who claimed he fell and fractured his hip as a result of the allegedly negligently maintained condition of the nursing home property (New York State Supreme Court, Oneida County).
- Won a dismissal of a malpractice action against an attorney who allegedly made fraudulent misrepresentations to and converted a third party’s funds through the use of attorney’s escrow account (New York State Supreme Court, Erie County).
- Successfully prosecuted a lawsuit on behalf of the purchaser of a company against the seller to recover the costs associated with responding to the New York State DEC’S investigation of certain real property as a “superfund” site and obtained indemnification from seller for all past and future environmental losses (New York State Supreme Court, Oneida County).
- Rated, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America (2009-2017)
- Selected, Upstate - New York, Super Lawyers
- Recipient, Jerradith Wilson Volunteer Award, Enable (2003)
- Member, ALFA International, Product Liability and Transportation Steering Committees
- Member, Northern District of New York Federal Court Bar Association
- Member, New York State Continuing Legal Education Board
- Member, New York State Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section
- Member, Onondaga County Bar Association
- Member, New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Member, Bishop Ludden High School, Board of Trustees
- Program Co-Chair, ALFA International’s Eastern Great Lakes Regional Conference
- Past Chair, New York State Bar Association, Trial Lawyers Section Cyberspace Committee
- Past Division Leader, United Way of Central New York, Small Business Section
- Past President, Enable, Board of Directors
- Past Member, Syracuse University College of Law Alumni Association, Board of Directors
- Past Member, Le Moyne College, Board of Governors
- Past Member, Syracuse Economic Development Corporation, Board of Directors
- Past Member, United Cerebral Palsy Associations of New York, Board of Directors
- Fifth District Judicial Seminar, "Resolving Medicare Liens" (September 2016)
- Fifth District Judicial Seminar, "Concussion and Traumatic Brain Injury Cases" (September 2016)
- Moderator, ALFA International's Eastern Great Lakes Regional Conference, “What Keeps Corporate Counsel Awake At Night?” (October 2012)
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1989
- Le Moyne College, B.A., cum laude, 1986
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals (Second Circuit)
- United States District Court (EDNY)
- United States District Court (NDNY)
- United States District Court (SDNY)
- United States District Court (WDNY)